Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First week of classes under the belt...

It has been a while since I have posted anything but things are going well. I have a full week of teaching under my belt and I can definitely say that the English levels are a little bit lower than I thought at my middle school but that is alright. Also there are definitely some students that don't really feel like being there but I am pretty sure that is the way it is with any school on any subject. I have 18 different classes with about 40 students in each class. I teach 9 1st Grade (7th grade to us) and 9 2nd Grade (8th grade) which are mixed up throughout my week, so I don't have to do the same lesson 4 or 5 times in a day it is only like 2 or 3 which is nice. I also have 4 conversation classes that will be starting up. I had my first one today after school and there was one kid in the class...one kid...it is kind of difficult to do a class with one kid. Luckily I didn't really prepare anything and we just did basic introductions. He was definitely interested in learning which was nice. In regards to my 1st Grade students they are still young enough that they are not afraid to yell in class and maybe be wrong so they seem to be a little bit more fun (see video of one class I posted on FB) but the 2nd Grade classes seem a little bored and do not engage in class as much. I am sure as time progresses they will relax and get used to the class but right now it is definitely a drain when you ask a question 10 times and everyone is either looking away or staring at you with their head cocked to the side like Rosco. However, with that all said I think that all the students are warming up to me as they all say hello in the hallway and run in and out of my classroom in between class times.

What else???? I am completely settled into my place, I have rearranged my apt (pictures on FB), cleaned, got internet, figured out how to use the hot hoter, got a cell phone, got health insurance, setup a bank account, registered with the US Embassy, registered as an alien in Korea, and found some good bars to go to. The group that we had orientation were great and the Incheon crew has been hanging out here and there the past few weeks. It definitely feels like we all have known each other longer than a few short weeks, but I know that is how it was during work camps, student council camps, etc... I think when like minded people come together and are thrown into a new environment they gel very quickly.

Alright I don't want to write too much on here as I know that people are busy and that frequency is better than really long posts a couple of weeks apart, so I will try and post a little bit more frequently especially these first few months as new things are happening daily.

Annyeong-hi Gaseyo

No comments:

Post a Comment