Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Getting situated

Well I have been in my apartment for a few days now and all seems to be good there. I couldn't figure out how to turn on the hot water but that problem has been resolved. Of course the room is pretty small but I don't need a whole lot of space so it works. I will put up pictures when I get internet at home as uploading pictures all day at school probably isn't the best idea. At least when I am blogging and facebooking it looks like possible research for some lesson plans or something. I haven't started to teach yet, won't be doing that until next week. Right now I am just watching a few classes and introducing myself. I am teaching 7th and 8th grade boys so they are pretty rowdy and I think activities will be the best way to keep them in check. I have met all 5 of my co-teachers (Korean teachers assisting in class) and they all seem to be really nice and I am looking forward to working with them. I have read that some people are having a tough time with their placement or school and I am glad to say that thus far I seem to be pretty lucky. My apartment is about a 10 minute walk from school and a 10-15 minute walk from the two main subway lines in Incheon. I am testing out the mail thing so once I have that I will send it out to anyone that wants it. Let's see what else... I have explored the area and there is not a whole lot in my immediate area but plenty to do with a 10-15 minute walk which is good. I haven't really gone out yet in Incheon but I am sure that we will be doing that this weekend. All in all it is just like any other big city, just a change in the language and the look of people make me think that I could be in Madrid or Chicago. I still have not been able to really pick up the language, I can read it pretty well now but the pronunciation and meaning are still lacking. I am getting adjusted to the Korean food (Kimchi is starting to taste better everyday) and get to eat at school everyday which will help. On my first day I made Rice Krispie treats and everyone was very impressed and enjoyed them. I don't think that they get that here too often as there were like 5 total bags of marshmallows in the grocery store the size of a super center Wal-Mart. Does anyone else have any other desserts that you can make sans oven? I will probably start looking online and see if I can find anything. I am thinking maybe first of each month bringing in some goodies for the teachers, they say it will help make your life easier. Everyone loves a little bribery!! I am really glad that I went through the EPIK program as I have a group of 20 or so people that I met there that are in Incheon and it is definitely nice to know a few people in a foreign city. Even though we don't have cell phones yet we are able to communicate a little bit on Facebook and have met up a few times already in the 6 days that we have been here. I get a 4 days off the third week of September for the Chusok (like the Korean Thanksgiving) does anyone have any suggestions on a place I should go? I might just head up to Seoul for a few days or relax in Incheon. They say that it is pretty busy during that time as most Koreans are doing some sort of traveling. I think that pretty sums up the last week or so but once I get internet at home I have a lot more pictures to show everyone.

4 comments:

  1. You can make a dessert using chopped up snickers bars, granny smith apples, and cool whip mixed together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a blender? I have a great Chocolate Mousse recipe! Looks like you are settling in just great :) John's son used to go to Thailand for short breaks - it looks absolutely stunning. Glad you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex! Good to hear all the news...sounds like you will be perfect for rowdy boys! Maybe some of your excellent soccer skills will come in handy to help burn off some of their energy! I just got a "no bake fudge brownie" recipe..will send it to you after you do your mail test as it is too long for the blog thingy. Love hearing about your life there....Love, AK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Alex,
    Dad and I are sooooo proud of you. I am attaching a No Bake Cookie recipe below. Do you have a stove top, or just a microwave?
    love, mom

    No Bake Cookies/makes 36
    Ingredients
    2 cups white sugar
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 pinch salt
    1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (if you use plain, increase oats by 1/2 cup)
    3 cups quick cooking oats (long cooking work too)

    Directions
    1.In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cocoa, milk and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, peanut butter and oats.
    2.Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow cookies to cool for at least 1 hour. Store in an airtight container.

    ReplyDelete